We are delighted to further strengthen our fast-growing team with a trio of new faces.
Locals Simon McGowan and Jordan Woodcock have joined the company as
Account Manager and Service Desk Engineer, whilst Slovakian Martina Giles
Kusakova has returned ‘home’ to Lancashire.
Holker IT managing director Matthew Metcalfe said: “It is certainly
a positive sign that we have had to bring in three new faces.
“We have seen a real spike in business over recent months – particularly
in relation to Cyber Security – and there is scope within the team for further
growth in the near future.”
Burnley-born Simon, 35, has joined the company’s sales department and will be tasked with liaising with customers and new business development.
With well over a decade’s experience in commercial sales, Simon
graduated Burnley College with a Business Administration NVC in 2004 before
joining and progressing through the ranks at Walker Farrimond.
Simon is joined by Martina, who takes on the role of Business Administrator.
Originally from Slovakia, Martina spent eight years in Cyprus where she worked as a Crewing Officer for a shipping company.
Whilst in the Mediterranean, the
32-year-old met her now-husband Chris before moving back, in October, to his
hometown … none other than Burnley!
The new trio is completed by 25-year-old Jordan, who joins as Service Desk Engineer.
Another graduate of Burnley College, Altham-based Jordan – a keen
Motocross enthusiast – boasts a diploma in Engineering and will join the companies
Photo: (l-r) Simon McGowan, Martina Giles Kusakova, Matthew Metcalfe and Jordan Woodcock.
Position: Business Administrator
Salary: Dependant on experience
The focus of the role is to deal with administration activities across multiple departments. The environment can be challenging but working with different departments is very varied and will give a great understanding of the business. Working in the sales department you may be the first point of contact for customers, who may need assistance with orders and information. Working with the accounts and technical department will be more about data collation and inputting.
Duties of an Business Administrator:
- Processing a high volume of product orders.
- Processing data for all sales transactions
- Checking prices and contracts are up to date.
- Arranging appointments for the team to visit new and established customers
- Taking phone calls from customers/Answering customers telephone queries
- Communicating internally important feedback from customers
- Support accounts dept through processing supplier/sales invoices
- Serve as liaison with other departments in the company
- Involvement in customer contract reviews
- Inputting invoice information into various systems including SAGE
- Renewals, pricing and invoicing of hardware warranties
- Support Finance department with month end duties
Requirements for the role:
- High organisational skills and ability to manage several tasks at the same time.
- Ability to prioritise own workload.
- Strong communication skills.
- IT competent with skills including use of Excel and CRM systems.
- An administrative or customer facing background.
- Must be detail oriented.
- Analytical thinker
To register your interest, please send a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
To be noted:
- This is not an exhaustive list of duties and responsibilities, and the post holder may be required to undertake other duties which fall within the grade of the job, in discussion with the Shareholders at Holker IT.
- This job description will be reviewed regularly in the light of changing service requirements and any such changes will be discussed with the post holder.
- The post holder is expected to comply with all relevant policies, procedures and guidelines, including those relating to Equal Opportunities, Health and Safety and Confidentiality of Information.
One of the frequently asked questions posed to us at Holker IT is “How do I get secure?” And that is usually followed by “Isn’t it expensive?”
For the first question, there’s no such thing as being completely secure. Rather than thinking of security as a destination, think of it as a journey on which you need to keep moving and always stay ahead of the criminals and bad guys.
The follow–up question is really easy to answer quickly – it doesn’t have to be expensive. In fact your first step on the journey can be entirely free!
The first step we’d recommend is to give us a call and arrange a meeting with one of our specialist security consultants. They will meet with you and help you understand the types of security services and milestones, which you may be interested in achieving.
There are a few initial steps our consultants usually recommend such as:
- An audit of your current technology and infrastructure
- This will allow our team to understand your organisations’ current technological level and provide you with a report containing suggestions for improvement.
- Holker IT can provide specific support or entirely implement any changes to your network or technology, including recommending and installing any hardware – and most importantly, configure it the right way!
- A gap analysis to identify and explain the gaps between your security and the Cyber Essentials standards. Cyber Essentials is a government backed scheme and an excellent entry into organisation-wide security certifications and a great step into compliance for your company https://holkerit.co.uk/services/cyber-essentials. A gap analysis will mean our team can provide you with a report of your current security status and actions to implement, to get your organisation ready for this certification.
- Organisation-wide awareness training
- A good awareness training scheme can ensure your staff know what signs to look for with regards to threats.
- Trained staff can be an asset to your organisation’s security rather than a possible vulnerability.
After those steps, there are plenty of tasks Holker IT can help you plan into your security strategy such as:
- Improving your processes and procedures with an information security management system and a relevant certification like ISO 27001.
- Regular offensive security testing including expertly performed penetration testing or vulnerability scanning.
- Providing a senior security consultant to attend board meetings as your CISO for regular strategic updates.
Whether you want to seriously improve your security, improve your compliance to win larger contracts, or are just curious as to where you could begin, it has never been more simple to start your security journey.
On 27/06/2017 a piece of malware, thought to be similar to last month’s WannaCry ransomware, shut computers down worldwide.
The malware mimicked 2016’s Petya ransomware leading researchers to initially believe this was a modified version with updated exploit code including the notorious EternalBlue utilised in WCry. After further research, however, it was discovered that this malware had much worse consequences than encryption – it aimed to wipe as many infected hard drives as possible. It is extremely unlikely that paying any ransom will help you against this malware.
As well as EternalBlue, PetyaWrap (or NotPeyta or ExPetr), utilises PsExec a command execution tool on Windows systems which is preinstalled with the malware and if that doesn’t work it will use LSADump which will look for passwords still held in working memory in order to gain administrative privileges and propagate further.
To protect against this it is first imperative to have your system patches up to date to protect from EternalBlue, it is also very important to have administrative privileges restricted wherever possible so that PsExec cannot run any commands, finally, any good anti-malware software should catch these three spreading methods as all are common infection techniques.
At Holker IT we take protecting our customers seriously, if you require support with managing your IT infrastructure and security please get in touch.
We have recently welcomed to the team, Ric Derbyshire – Chair at the NW Cyber Security Cluster – as our InfoSec Director.
The progressive move will enable Holker IT to offer increased support to local businesses concerned about the on-going threat of ‘hacking’.
And Ric, 27, who is currently studying for a PhD in cyber security at Lancaster University, believes there will be many mutual benefits.
“Holker IT is already ahead of the game through having an in-house cyber security department and this is also a great opportunity for me to get more hands-on experience in the cut and thrust of day-to-day business.
“Cyber security is a very big deal and no company is safe from attack. My part-time role as a penetration tester with Holker IT means I can get out to businesses and perform ‘cyber attacks’ to illustrate vulnerability and outline the solutions available.
“Studying for a PhD makes it difficult for me to run a company of my own so this involvement with Holker IT is perfect.”
Holker IT Financial Director James Dewhurst, who invited Ric on board after working with him at the NW Cyber Security Cluster, said: “Ric’s knowledge of cyber security and all the many complexities is clear to see.
“He is a young man with an excellent pedigree and a growing reputation. It is a key appointment for us and we are delighted to secure his services.”
Holker IT has become an authorised business partner of Toshiba TEC UK after striking an exclusive deal.
“This is a major development for us’” said Matthew Metcalfe, managing director at Holker IT. “We are now the sole Toshiba partner for the area, which not only adds strength to our reputation but also significantly increases our offering to clients of all sizes.
“Toshiba’s award-winning range of multifunction print and copying systems is universally renowned and offers limitless options with industry-leading software integration solutions.”
“That level of high-end specification and capability, coupled with cost-effective pricing, makes for a great mix across SMEs and other specialist sectors like education.”
Terry Simms, business partnership manager for Toshiba TEC UK, said: “We are very selective in terms of business partners and are delighted to offer this opportunity to Holker IT. They have a great track record and fit the bill in every respect.”
Toshiba TEC UK is part of the globally operating Toshiba TEC Corporation, an innovator in pioneering technology, a diversified manufacturer, and marketer of advanced electronic and electrical products spanning information & communications systems, digital consumer products, electronic devices and components, power systems including nuclear energy, industrial and social infrastructure systems and home appliances.
Founded in 1875, Toshiba today operates a global network of more than 740 companies, with 204,000 employees worldwide.